Thursday, December 10, 2015

My Grammy Awards Prediction: Final Verdict


The nominations for 58th Grammy Awards just came out at last Monday. As usual, there are some shocking nominations and snubs. Courtney Barnett, for example, who's out of nowhere getting nominated for Best New Artist. Chris Stapleton  takes Sara Bareilles' random slot in Album of the Year nomination. Indonesian jazz-virtuoso Joey Alexander snatches two nominations away. No Drake's "Hotline Bling". Not enough Justin Bieber (I surprisingly defend, but to be fair, his comeback single and album are one of the finest this year). And the most sacrilegious thing that Grammy committee ever committed is no Carly Rae Jepsen whatsoever. Do they have any hidden agenda with Canadian artists? 

As you all may have been aware before, I have made some predictions for several Grammy categories in here and there. So, let's see how good my premonition is. 

1. Album of the Year
My predictions:
1. Taylor Swift - 1989
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
3. Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material
4. The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness 
5. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special or James Taylor - Before This World

Final nominations:
Alabama Shakes, Sound and Color
Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly
Chris Stapleton, Traveller
Taylor Swift, 1989
The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness

Correct Prediction: 3/5

In my defense, I've never heard Chris Stapleton's Traveller before. I thought the country nomination will come from Kacey Musgraves or Little Big Town or Sam Hunt's Montevallo. I'm not surprised with Alabama Shakes' Sound and Color. In fact, I feel so ashamed I didn't include their album on the pool. 

2. Song of the Year
My predictions:
1. Taylor Swift - "Blank Space" (no question)
2. Ed Sheeran - "Thinking Out Loud"
3. Kacey Musgraves - "Biscuits" (it's a long shot, but why not)
4. The Weeknd - "Can't Feel My Face"
5. Kendrick Lamar - "Alright" or Paul McCartney, Kanye West, and Rihanna - "FourFiveSeconds" or Mark Ronson - "Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)"

Final nominations:
Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
Taylor Swift, "Blank Space"
Little Big Town, "Girl Crush"
Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth, "See You Again"
Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"

Correct prediction: 3/5

I admit I cheat by adding three songs on my predictions. However, from those three songs, Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" is the only one I'm sure of because the committee will find a way to cram Kendrick Lamar's songs on little space. Surprised to see "See You Again" as it is too Billboard-y for Grammy Awards. Not too surprised to see "Girl Crush" because it's battle between Little Big Town, Sam Hunt, and Kacey Musgraves from country genre. 

3. Record of the Year
My predictions:
1. Mark Ronson - "Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)"
2. Paul McCartney, Kanye West and Rihanna - "FourFiveSeconds"
3. Taylor Swift - "Style"
4. The Weeknd - "Can't Feel My Face"
5. Jack U - "Where R U Now (feat. Justin Bieber)" or Carly Rae Jepsen - "Run Away With Me" (my wildest dream)

Final nominations:
D'Angelo and the Vanguard, "Really Love"
Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk"
Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"
Taylor Swift, "Blank Space"
The Weeknd, "Can't Feel my Face"

Correct prediction: 2/5

This one is such a messy category. While I think "Style" is definitely has better production value than "Blank Space", Swift's team doesn't send it for Grammy. D'Angelo's acclaimed comeback album should've been nominated for Album of the Year, but they appear in Record of the Year. Not happy with Sheeran's "Thinking Out Loud". Is it a good song? Yes. A good record? Nada. "Thinking Out Loud" is really forgettable. 

4. Best New Artist
My predictions:
1. Meghan Trainor
2. Sam Hunt
3. The Weeknd 
4. Years & Years or Fetty Wap
5. Walk The Moon (a really long shoooot) or Charlie Puth (possible, but I don't think so), or FKA twigs.

Final nominations:
Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly
Meghan Trainor

Correct prediction: 2/5

Bye, FKA twigs. Apparently Grammy has found more edgier best new artist than you. Not in a million years, I dare to dream to see Australian singer, Courtney Barnett, to be nominated in Grammy Awards, let alone in Big Four category. But, yeah, I'm startled to see her name on the category with the other predictable nominees. 

5. Best Pop Vocal Album
My predictions:
1. Taylor Swift - 1989
2. Kelly Clarkson - Piece By Piece
3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
4. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special or The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness
5. Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

Final nominations:
Kelly Clarkson, Piece by Piece
Florence + The Machine, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Mark Ronson, Uptown Special
Taylor Swift, 1989
James Taylor, Before This World

Correct prediction: 4/5

I know I am awesome. If only it weren't for James Taylor, I will perfectly predict this category. But seriously though, who really considers Taylor's Before This World a pop album? This makes Emotion's omission feels more tragic. 

6. Best Pop Solo Performance
My predictions:
1. Taylor Swift - "Blank Space" or Taylor Swift - "Style" or Taylor Swift - "Wildest Dreams" or the committees go berserk and nominate all three Taylor Swift's songs.
2. Ed Sheeran - "Thinking Out Loud"
3. The Weeknd - "Can't Feel My Face"
4. Justin Bieber - "What Do You Mean"
5. Rachel Platten - "Fight Song" or Carly Rae Jepsen - "Run Away With Me"

Final nominations:
Kelly Clarkson - "Heartbeat Song"
Ellie Goulding - "Love Me Like You Do"
Taylor Swift - "Blank Space" 
Ed Sheeran - "Thinking Out Loud"
The Weeknd - "Can't Feel My Face"

Correct prediction: 3/5

There goes my wish to see Jepsen's "Run Away With Me" gets some recognition it deserves. Happy to see "Love Me Like You Do", though it makes me curious if the committee actually enjoys watching Fifty Shades of Grey. The other three nominations are so predictable that it doesn't make me happy.



7. Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
My predictions:
1. Taylor Swift - "Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar)"
2. Mark Ronson - "Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars)"
3. Wiz Khalifa - "See You Again (feat. Charlie Puth)"
4. Maroon 5 - "Sugar"
5. Paul McCartney, Kanye West, and Rihanna - "FourFiveSeconds"

Final nominations:
Florence + The Machine, " Ship to Wreck"
Maroon 5, "Sugar"
Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk"
Taylor Swift feat. Kendrick Lamar, "Bad Blood"
Wiz Khalifa feat. Charlie Puth, "See You Again"

Correct prediction: 4/5

"FourFiveSeconds" is so Grammy-bait and the committee decides to omit it and switch it with "Ship To Wreck". I mean this is the same committee that awards millions of Grammy to The Beatles. Why not give another one to its last standing man? 

8. Best Dance/Electronic Album
My predictions:
1. David Guetta - Listen
2. Madeon - Adventure
3. Jack U - Skrillex And Diplo Present Jack U
4. Major Lazer - Peace Is The Mission
5. The Chemical Brothers - Born In The Echoes

Final nominations:
Caribou, Our Love
The Chemical Brothers, Born in the Echoes
Disclosure, Caracal
Jamie XX, In Colour
Skrillex and Diplo, Skrillex and Diplo Present Jack Ü

Correct prediction: 2/5

This is the only category where I'm feeling happy with all the nominations as it combines critical darling and popular musician. Caribou's Our Love and Jamie XX's In Colour are critical darling, and the other nominations are popular artists whose rating is not that bad either. 

9. Best Alternative Album
My predictions:
Blur - The Magic Whip
Bjork - Vulnicura
Death Cab For Cutie - Kintsugi
Wilco - Star Wars
Tame Impala - Currents

Final nominations:
Alabama Shakes, Sound & Color
Björk, Vulnicura
My Morning Jacket, The Waterfall
Tame Impala, Currents
Wilco, Star Wars

Correct prediction: 3/5
Not surprising at all, though I hope to see Courtney Barnett's latest album here. 


Final Verdict: Not bad at predicting. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment